First Ever Baby Sweater, Thanks Melody’s Makings!

When I found out that my Sister-in-law was having a baby, I just had to make something for her! Usually, I would make a blanket or a girly romper and booties. But this time I had to make something different…. she was having a boy! Yay!! I haven’t had a little itty-bitty boy enter my family in awhile. I was beyond excited!

Then, I started to freak out… what should I make? I live across the country from them so, I didn’t know how the weather is going to be. I didn’t want to make something that wouldn’t be used. Then, I remembered that Melody’s Makings had done a Create-a-Long with a little sweater!

Lightbulb! That’s what I’ll make… Had no idea what colors I should use so I asked my SIL what two colors she liked… Blue and Beige. Sounded like a pretty good combo to me! She wasn’t sure about that since she didn’t know why I was asking. I told her to trust me. he he he

Since I knew what pattern I wanted to make, I went to the Michaels right away and found some great yarns that went together nicely! I picked a Dark Navy and Beige. They are a Worsted Weight yarn which is what the pattern called for. I grabbed extra skeins of yarn because I was thinking about doing a blanket as well (that I am still working on, I’m sure I will share with you when I am done).

Melody’s pattern was originally written up to be done using stripes, but I had decided to make it a solid color for the body (Dark Navy) and the edging to be done in the other color (Beige). I need a couple of buttons for the neck opening so I heading over to Joann Fabrics. I was able to find buttons that worked well with the body color, but they weren’t exactly what I was looking for. I was kind of hoping for some cute little themed buttons to use on the sweater. But they didn’t have many in the size that I needed. So, I went with blue ones with a little marbling to them.

When it came time to starting on the project, I decided to work on the 0-3 month sized sweater instead of the newborn sized. I just don’t like taking chances on the size of the babies when they come out. I’ve made some hats in newborn sizes and they turned out to not fit their babies very long because the baby was born much bigger then the “normal” newborn size. It does hurt a little knowing that you put all of that time into something that wasn’t used because the baby grew out of it too quickly.

When I finished up the little sweater I wrapped it up and sent it to my SIL. She absolutely loved it! I was so proud of the work that I had done, being that it was my first sweater. I look forward to the next one that I get to work up.

Please let me know what you think of this itty-bitty sweater. Would you make one using this pattern? How about the colors? Did Mama pick a good color scheme?

Here is the Ravelry link to Melody’s Makings pattern! Be sure to share your finished piece if you make one!

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/21-days-to-sweater-success–crochet

Fall Mystery Create-a-long

This project has been done for awhile now but I still had to share the process with everyone!

For this project I use Vanna’s Choice… it’s a yarn that I have never used before but Melody said that she recommended it. So, I just had to give it a try.

I loved the colors that they have available and it was actually hard to decided on what two colors that I wanted to use. I ended up picking a nice neutral earthy color called Linen and I paired it with a deep Burgundy color. These two colors totally made me think of fall.

yarn20choice_zpsmn2youli

Aren’t they just beautiful?!

The first Segment that was sent out was a rather quick one. A simple little flower. Hmm what could it be for?

I chose to do it in the burgundy color. This will be used for all of the accent parts of the project. So, that means I will be using the linen color for the bulk of the project.

02_zpslaii3taq

The 3rd segment added the main color to the flower. Yup! I can say that I like this color combination.

03_zpsb2zx9kpk

Back to the accent color for the 3rd segment. This is looking pretty cute! I just love the added border. Still not sure what we might be making, what do you think?

04_zpsbv4otuny

Segment 4 she had us go back to the main color. This was a little tricky since we were working behind the “border” that we created in the last segment.

05_zpsuak1lkzx

I bet you guessed what segment 5 was… had to add the trapezoid shape to the other side of the piece. It kind of reminds me of the top of a bib maybe….

06_zpsawrxwglo

With Segment 6 we added the “body” part. Now it’s starting to look like something. It’s definitely something that a little girl wears around their chest area!

07_zpszqdplsdn

Wonder what we will be adding for Segment 7…

08_zpsyvrthi0o

Looks like the start of a little skirt!

The rest of the segment just had you add more length to the piece. I had decided to change it up a little and added in some color. For the bottom row, Melody had us add the same border that we added to the flower piece at the start of the Mystery Create-a-long.

09_zps33emdl6f

Here is the picture of my finished piece! I just love how it looks as I am sure you can tell by the strings.

You can buy this dress pattern in either crochet or knit by clicking the links below!

Autumn Lovin’ Dress – Crochet | Knit

You can check out all that Melody has to offer here:
Facebook | Ravelry | Blog | Etsy